11.17.2005

a though provoking quote


"You cannot be really first-rate at your work if your work is all you are."
-Anna Quindlen, Essayist and Novelist


I came across this quote recently and it makes perfect sense I thought. I started thinking along the same lines a few months ago. Writing a blog or some other extra curricular activity that is complementary to what a person does in their daily job/career exercices a part of the brain that maybe under-utilized otherwise.

My maternal grandmother who kept diaries year- over-year wasn't a consistent record-keeper but rather she made notes along the way whenever she felt like it or when the time afforded her. I was always told to keep a diary when I was younger and I did on and off for a while until my teens but other distractions took me away after that. Blogging is my new way of writing in a diary.

Since there is no point in sticking to a schedule of when and what I would put on the blog, I 've told myself that I would commit to making an an entry at least once a week. This way it will allow me to think of something to write about.

In other news, there's a new diner- Bridgett's Kitchen on the stretch between Vesuvios and The Friendly Thai. I use the word diner because it looks like more of a diner than a restaurant, and its the site of the former fish and chips restaurant. Talking to the owner, she mentioned that the food is mainstream Canadiana, sandwiches, fries and what not. It will be open for all brekkis, lunches and dinners and brunches during the weekend. From the sounds, I'm hoping they serve good breakfast, because that would definetly fill a void in the 'hood.

The old Recycling Depot between Martin's Flowers and the Book Store, even though the building changed hands back in the spring, I'm finally seeing some heav-duty renovations going on. I tried talking to the construction workers on my weekend walks but they just smiled and told me they couldnt reveal what was going in there. Post a comment if you know the big secret.

until later...

1 comment:

Rebekah Blok, ND said...

Hi Phat Phixer,

One of my favourite things in the neighbourhood is the cafe "Cool Hand of a Girl." Have you written about it?